Tuesday, May 23, 2017

30 Day Healthy Hair Challenge! (Starts June 1, 2017)

Hello, Ladies! As promised, here are the details of my healthy hair challenge for the month of June! 

30 DAY HEALTHY HAIR CHALLENGE

Start Date: Thursday, June 1, 2017
End Date: Friday, June 30, 2017


Trim Ends
I know many of us desire for longer hair but one of the best things you can do for your hair, in order for it to flourish, is to get rid of any damaged, excessively dry, brittle ends. Either head to a stylist that specializes in natural hair or trim your hair yourself, if you are comfortable and actually know what you are doing. Trim your ends before the challenge starts!

Take Pictures
After trimming your hair, make sure to take before and after pictures on June 1 and then again on June 30. Take pictures with your hair stretched and unstretched. This way you can track the progress of your hair and see any difference in pictures.

Scalp Massage
Every day massage your scalp for at least 5 minutes. You can use your fingertips, a scalp massage brush or The Scalp Soother (one of my favorite scalp massagers). Every 2-3 days, apply a little bit of natural carrier oil or hair growth oil to your scalp and do your daily 5 minute massage.
*Video: How To Use the BaByliss Scalp Massage Brush

Exercise
Exercise is important for our overall health but it also does wonders for the hair! Exercise for at least 20 minutes a day, for 4-5 days out of the week. That 20 minutes can include yoga, walking around a lake, playing a active game or sport with your child outside, going to the gym or doing a quick at home workout DVD. And, make sure you choose something that you actually enjoy. There options are endless! *Many of you may know that I am expecting so at some point during this challenge I will have delivered my little one. I do still plan on being active for 4-5 days a week, doing light workouts such as walking the neighborhood or lake with my new little. I will make sure to listen to my body and not overdo anything.


Drink Water
No need to go into full detail because we all know we should be drinking water consistently but simply drink your recommended ounces of water every day. If you are not a big water drinker, infuse the taste by adding fresh fruit and/or herbs to your water bottle. Doing this really helps, trust me!

Eat Healthy
We have heard it all before! Eat healthy - eat your lean proteins, veggies, healthy carbs and whole grains. Find 1-2 days out of the week in which you can meal prep to help you stay on track with eating healthy meals. When I meal prep, I prefer to meal prep on Sundays (for meals eaten Monday through Wednesday) and again on Wednesday (for meals eaten Thursday through Sunday). Whenever I visit a casual dining restaurant, I do order healthier, lighter options such as grilled fish, steamed broccoli and brown rice or quinoa. That is usually my go-to meal outside of the home. Also, if you take hair care vitamins/supplements, do not forget to take them on a daily basis. Set a reminder on your phone!

Pray for Your Hair
This is something that is fairly new for me so I am excited to incorporate this into my prayers! I have read and seen videos of ladies praying over their hair, whether they desire for their hair to be longer, thicker, fuller and/or healthier. And, these women have seen great results because of this. Even after the challenge, I want to make sure I am still doing this on a daily basis.
Video: My Prayer for Hair - A Crown of Glory (crownofHisglory)
Video: Praying to God for Long Hair?  (Dephne Madyara)
Video: Prayer for Longer Hair (Dephne Madyara)

Low Manipulation and Protective Styles
I will be wearing twists pulled up into a faux bun as my protective style for the majority of this challenge. I do plan on wearing my actual hair out to give my hair a little break so that is where I will be incorporating low manipulation styles such as my go to puff or twist out. Please make sure whatever style you choose is not too tight or uncomfortable as to not damage your hair and/or scalp.
Video: How To Do a Puff on Natural Hair

Stick with Your Regimen and Staple Products
If you already have a hair care regimen that works for your hair, stick with it. If you have those staple products that your hair absolutely loves, stick with them. Do not switch it up during this challenge as you want to use products and techniques that you know already benefit your hair. Also, if you order your products online, go ahead and do so now so they can arrive before the challenge begins!
Blog Post: My Hair Care Regimen

Start on a Clean Slate
Wash your hair the night before or a few days before starting the challenge. You want to start your hair off on a clean slate, with no product build up, before June 1st. 

Track Everything
This might be a little tough to remember but write down everything involving your hair (and this challenge) in a log or journal. You want to track everything you do to your hair in case you notice any changes/progress. You will know exactly when that took place. Jot down everything at the end of each night; it should only take about 10 minutes. Set a daily reminder on your phone if you have to.

Your log should look something like this:
*This is just an example and not what I will be doing day to day.

May 31: trimmed and washed hair with XX products, did twists

June 1: took before pictures, 5 minute scalp massage with hair growth oil, wore twists down, 20 minute workout dvd, drank XX ounces of water, breakfast: XX, snack: XX, lunch: XX, snack: XX, dinner: XX

June 2: moisturized and sealed with XX products, 5 minute scalp massage, wore twists in a bun, 20 minute walk outside, drank XX ounces of water, breakfast: XX, snack: XX, lunch: XX, snack: XX, dinner: XX

June 3: 5 minute scalp massage, wore twists in a bun, drank XX ounces of fruit-infused water, 30 minutes in gym, breakfast: XX, snack: XX, lunch: XX, snack: XX, dinner: XX

June 4: moisturized and sealed with XX products, 5 minute scalp massage with hair growth oil, wore twist out, REST DAY, drank XX ounces of water, breakfast: XX, snack: XX, lunch: XX, snack: XX, dinner: XX

June 5: 5 minute scalp massage, wore twist out, 30 minute basketball game with kids, drank XX ounces of water, breakfast: XX, snack: XX, lunch: XX, snack: XX, dinner: XX

That is  everything I will be doing for this healthy hair challenge. Feel free to join me and tweak anything so that it works for your hair and lifestyle. I will start off by doing this for the entire month of June and may extend it out if I complete the 30 days without a problem. I will, of course, let you all know if I continue this challenge throughout the month of July and/or August. If you decide to join me on this challenge, please let me know in the comments below or feel free to DM on Instagram (@The4cProject). I'd love to know who is participating so we can hold each other accountable!

If you have any questions, let me know!


~Morgan~


::Follow Me on Social Media to See My Healthy, Natural Hair Journey::

Instagram: @The4cProject
Facebook: www.facebook.com/The4cProject
 YouTube: www.youtube.com/The4cProject

No comments:

Post a Comment